Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Bye bye tonsils, bye bye ear infections...HELLO SPRING!

Today was the big day. We were scheduled to have surgery at 2:00pm. I woke B up at 4am to eat and basically force fed him until 6. Bless his heart he fell back asleep awoke to his mother being gone to a doctors appointment and his Papa telling him no more food! We had to resort to tying the cabinets and refrigerator shut. He was not happy about not eating but after I got home I did my best to distract him. We flew a kite, raided the library for movies and way to many books (not that reading is bad, but I might have thrown my back out). God love him he had no clue what was coming. I mean, we prepared! We read books, talked about the mask, sleepy gas, the bed with wheels, and the arm "hug" the nurse would give him. Three year old's just don't have forethought.

We arrived to Children's Outpatient Mason branch at 1:00. B was getting more and more ravenous, searching for food...even crumbs in the bottom of my purse. Don't tell but he did find a random (and I'm sure filthy piece of candy in the car, but we pried it from his lips). We checked in, and went to the play room. He was so co-operative with all the staff, he didn't talk much (now that's a surprise), but was willing to try on the mask, be weighed, and have his temp and blood pressure taken. The ONLY thing he didn't want to do was to put on the hospital outfit! So my little guy paraded around in his Spiderman boxer-briefs. He strutted to the play room for a while, had surgery, recovered, and even stayed in that outfit until we arrived home. I only wish I would have had my camera.

Walking him to the pre-op room wasn't bad. Convincing him to wear the mask was a struggle, but not scary. My friends had all warned me that this would be the worst part that it may even look like he was dying, but that wasn't my feeling at all. He looked so helpless, and I hate giving up control. So there lay my little baby, helpless, and I'm turning over control to these people I've never met...not to mention that although it was best for B he didn't have any say. I had a couple of tears run down my face but then I was fine.

We waited for about 45 minutes and then were called back to the recovery room. They reported that he had a very difficult time coming out of anesthetics but after that he was a champ. The people at Children's were amazing. Every person that had come into contact with B came to check on him. Each person was complimentary, supportive, informative, and best of all personable. The day could not have gone better!!

My only complaint, which isn't even one at all, is that they told me he'd come home and be exhausted. He's running around, wanting to wrestle, eating like an animal who just found food, and talking non-stop!! I'm glad he's healthy, but the stress I didn't realize I was carrying has worn me out and I could use some cuddle time! Maybe tomorrow! I am so thankful that we have been blessed with a safe and hitch less procedure!

No comments: