Monday, January 26, 2009

Be careful what you wish for!

So for those of you who aren't clear, B and I live with my parents for the time being. Although the set up is amazing and helpful the quarters are tight; which involves the two of us sharing a bedroom. He's been very restless as far as sleeping goes and I've been wishing for a "break".
Nana, granted my wish! She and B went to Dayton to visit Granny Great for four days. Of coarse I missed the lil fella but truth be told I was stoked! I was ready to run free, even if that did mean working-out after work, going to the grocery alone, or not watching Sponge-Bob.
No kidding as soon as the two of them hit I-75 I started coming down with a NASTY stomach virus. The kind where you are thankful that you don't have a grandiose bathroom. I pushed through work on Thursday and Friday...thinking just make it until 4 and then you can rest. HAHAHAHAHa
Friday, around 1 a student of ours had a major behavioral meltdown. This episode lasted until 3:30, before we decided we needed to call 911. Seriously, no family member would get in touch with us, not even after 15 calls. As the ambulance rolled in to take him I suddenly realized that I was on, as far as being the District Representative. Yes, my friends I had to ride in the Ambulance to the hospital. This poor 10 year old had no, I repeat NO, family show up. I in good conscious couldn't leave him, especially after he looked me dead in the eyes and said "Ms. W, you aren't gonna leave me here alone are you?" So I sat. I sat with this boy as he weaved in and out of crisis. I sat as we waited for the hospital to decide if he needed to be admitted to the Children's Mental Facility. At 11, yes 7 hours after I thought I would be resting, the hospital admitted him and I was no longer allowed to stay. (a fact that I was almost thankful for)
So the way I figure it, I asked for a "break" from my own son but by default gained the work of another mother, one who apparently needed a break too. The end to my week made me thankful for the time and energy that B takes up because he so healthy, happy, and loving. Spending time, even if it is battling bed time wars is so much easier and pleasant than taking on someone else's issues. Please remind me of that the next time I'm looking for a "break".
As for me and the virus....well it hung around all weekend and I've planned to take Monday off. Tuesday I should be rip roarin' ready to go!

1 comment:

Nanners said...

you were all that kid had at the time. I'm glad you didn't leave him alone, how scary. Imagine how that would have made him feel.
I, too, had a stomach thingey this weekend--not enough to send me to bed, but enough to make me want to just "veg" on the couch for hours and hours! Hope we are both better now.